Why do we have cameras?
We have cameras because cats.
So will the iPhone ever replace the DSLR camera?
It will complement it, sure., I take a lot of iPhone pictures. You always have it, and it’s so easy to Facebook a pic. But it will never replace it.
Look at my photos. What can an iPhone not do that a DSLR can?
- Use a real flash
- Get those blurry backgrounds (yeah yeah, the oPhone 7 has a second lens to fake it);
- Shoot at high ISOs with great quality
- Do macro shots.
- Shoot at fast (controlled) shutter speeds.
- Have enough megapixels.
- Give the user control over focus mode and focus area, ISO, aperture, white balance,…
- Create large prints (like 40 inch across).
There’s so much more. The laws of physics do not allow a small camera to do what a large camera does. It is as simple as that. So there will always be a market for both.