A black sky may look black to us.
But to the camera, it is not that way:
At least if you set up the camera correctly.
My recipe was:
- Canon 1Ds Mark III on a tripod
- Using the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L prime lens
- Focus: Manual, set to infinity
- Exposure: Manual, f/1.4, 30 seconds
- 200 ISO
Note the following:
- Lightroom will automatically remove “stuck pixels”
- The sky starts off lighter, and goes darker, so adjustments may be necessary.
- Focus needs to be accurate: do it before it gets dark.
- A city in the distance will light up the sky greatly.
Try it. And above all, have fun.