Here’s my student, photographer and friend Michelle:
Any portrait photographer wil recognize some or all of these factors:
- I shot this in colour, of course (RAW), and converted to B/W in Lightroom afterward.
- I shot the image horizontally, in landscape orientation – not in the more usual portrait orientation.
- Negative space is good.
- And so is the Rule of Thirds.
- I used a hair light, behind the subject on our right, to get the “shampooiee goodness” look.
- The eyes have catchlights. From my umbrella, on our left.
- I shot some images. The subject liked this one only. I liked three others also. This is very usual – people look at themselves differently.
Go do some portraits. They are fun!