Here’s part of my Lightroom workflow:
- Import. Rename during import to YYYMMDD–<old filename> (e.g. file MVWX1234.CR2 gets renamed to “20150129–MVWX1234.CR2”).
- Rate pictures 1-5 stars, where 1=technically bad, 2=technically OK but not inspiring, 3=good to be shown to client; 4=one of the best in shoot; 5=portfolio photo.
- Set filter to “3 and above only”.
- Out of these, now decide which ones to actually use by flagging (“P, or “pick”).
- Set filter to “flagged only”.
- Edit them. Mark green (8) when done.
- Set filter to greens only.
- Export as required.
As you see, I create a funnel. As in “1000 images gets made into 850 “3+” images, and eventually to 600 picks”. It’s all about efficiency.