With the dark season ahead, but with plenty of sunshine yet, it may well be time to (re-?) familiarize yourself with flash. In which case you may be interested in an upcoming Sunday afternoon workshop, and a repeat of the same, both in my studio in Brantford, Ontario:
- Oct 2, 2016, noon-5pm: HANDS-ON SESSION: Master On- and Off-Camera Flash, Manual & TTL. $199, limited to three students. Only two spots left. View details/reserve your spot.
- Oct 16, 2016, noon-5pm: a repeat of the same workshop. $199 if you book soon, limited to five students. Only four spots left. View details/reserve your spot.
The Workshop Program:
Prerequisites: You need basic camera knowledge and a DSLR camera. Bring that camera, and IF you have it, your flash. I supply all studio equipment, snacks and drinks. If you have a Sony camera, you may need a converter to standard flash hotshoe.
What we do: In five hours, in a combination of lecture and hands-on, I will free your creativity by showing and teaching you:
- The minimum required technical knowledge. This includes a quick review of camera basics and flash background knowledge.
- How to think about a flash photo. My unique method suddenly makes it simple!
- The four (and only four) types of background exposure.
- The Three Magic Recipes: “studio”, “event”, and “outdoor”.
- How to fire remote flashes using your camera’s system (Canon, Nikon).
- How to fire remote flashes using Pocketwizards.
- TTL or manual? How you decide.
- Strobes or speedlights? Pros and cons of both.
- Alternate radio triggers: Yongnuo.
- Bouncing a flash.
- Lighting a portrait.
- Using a flash meter.
- Using modifiers: Beauty dish, softbox, snoot, reflector, grid, and gel.
- Special techniques: ring flash, etc.
Bring a camera, and a flash if you have one, and the rest is provided. You will leave with knowledge and hands-on experience.