I occasionally shoot video with my DSLRs (7D and 1D Mk4). Not like this, therefore:
But simpler. And the secret is simplicity!
My top ten video tips:
- Shoot clips of ca 10 seconds.
- Add a lead-in and lead-out of a second or two to each clip so you can fade in/out
- Do not move the camera unnecessarily. The dog breathing is enough motion.
- Avoid focusing while shooting. Focus, shoot the clip, done
- Use external audio, or at least an external mike.
- Use manual exposure if you can, or at least lock exposure during your clip
- Avoid zooming in or out unnecessarily, and never zoom in, then out or vice versa.
- Use prime lenses.
- Shoot a “B-roll”, i.e. supporting clips that show the environment
- Start with an “establishing shot”
Try that and your videos get much better!