Prior to a class the other day, I decided to do a very quick self portrait or two. Let me share, and explain how.
How? This is how:
- A 1D camera with a 580EX flash on it – with that flash used as a master, and disabled otherwise, so it only drives additional flashes.
- The camera set to manual, 1/125th sec, f/5.6, 400 ISO.
- An additional flash A on our left: a 430EX on a light stand, with a HonlPhoto grid to avoid the light spilling onto the wall.
- An additional flash B on our left: a 430EX on its little foot, equipped with a HonlPhoto gel.
- A 1:1 ratio of A:B flashes.
- The camera set to choose its own focus point for once, since I am holding it myself!
- The camera in my outstretched arm, tilted for diagonal line effect.
Not bad eh?
Finally, one more with a different gel on the background flash: egg yolk yellow, my favourite colour.
Total time taken: Maybe two, three minutes.