I actually have many “preciousssses”. But this one is among the most precious. My lightstand/bracket/umbrella combo. This here:
This kit, which is just about glued to me, consists of:
- A light stand.
- On it, a bracket for mounting flash and umbrella.
- A pocketwizard. (Plus one on the camera).
- Cable from pocketwizard to flash (from Pocketwizard or from flashzebra.com).
- A small flash, e.g. a 430EX/SB710, or any other flash. Any brand will do if I use “manual”. As long as you cam disable the timeout and set the power level manually.
- Umbrella. Shoot through as well as shoot into (i.e. removable cover).
It folds into a very small package, and often, it’s all I need. Since I know how to mix ambient and flash, that umbrella allows me to do so much. Including this:
Oh, and a student spotted me and took this photo, of the exact flash stand used for that shot:
Want to learn? I do remote training over the Internet, using Google Hangouts, so you can now do my courses wherever you are in the world. Better still, for a limited time, it’s cheaper than here, in person. See learning.photography to order now.