Always carry your camera, even at night.
I just got back from teaching, after an executive portrait shoot this morning.
But I want to talk not about light, but about lack of light. And how when it gets dark, you do not put away your camera. Like I carried mine, just the other night in Montreal:
All those were handheld shots.
Tips for those:
- Hold the camera steady!
- Use a wide lens, since they are more forgiving of motiong
- Make it a fast one the fastest you can get (I used a 16-35mm f/2.8 on a full-frame camera);
- Use a high ISO if handheld (but low if using a tripod);
- Expose down 1-2 stops (use manual, or use aperture mode and Exposure Compensation “minus”) ;
- Shoot multiple times to make sure!
If you do it that way, it is easy. And you will be happy with your images.