In my shop, we print, among the things. We print all day, and we do it well; so well that we call our prints “Premium Prints”.
So what is a Premium Print?
For these prints, we do the following:
- We help our customer get the photo off their device (mostly, a phone). This can involve some phone training, Bluetooth, Airdrop, and so on.
- We ascertain that the file is the best one there is. Often we get a tiny screen shot from Facebook Messenger etc, where there is in fact a better file available. We make sure that we get the best file available.
- We crop the photo is necessary. Sometimes, we have to fill in areas to allow printing at the required size (e.g. 8×10, if the original is square).
- We adjust exposure and colour, if necessary.
- Sometimes we need to make more extensive changes. These can include de-noising, sharpening, or even removing items.
- Then we print, using fine art papers, on one of our “Giclée” printers: printers that have at least 10 different ink colours rather than just three our four. These inks are pigments not dyes: prints made with pigments reproduce colours better and do not fade readily, like the usual dye-based prints.
- We then crop these by hand.
- If a frame is wanted, we can advice on the kind of frame that would best suit the photo.
Our staff are all trained photographers and phot-editors, so you get the benefit of their experience and knowledge with every print you make.
And prints are important. They should be on walls, not just on Facebook walls.