I am using a flash and my image is too dark! What’s wrong?
It could be any of several things. The top ones in this handy checklist:
- You are too far (especially when bouncing). Increase the ISO or open up the aperture, or get closer.
- You are shooting a reflective object. Avoid shooting directly at a reflective object: bounce, or move it.
- Your Flash Exposure Compensation (“FEC”, symbol lightning rod and +/1 symbol combined) is set to “minus”. Set FEC back to 0, on the camera and on the flash.
- You are shooting a white scene. Set FEC to plus, eg +1 to +1.7
- Your flash is set to commander mode. Set it back to normal TTL, using the commander/remote button or menu.
- Your flash is set to manual mode. Set it back to normal TTL, using the “mode” button.
Now try again!